Designing and building a new home is an exciting time for thousands of Americans every year. The home of your dreams becomes a reality when you’re realistic and you do your homework. There are questions to ask yourself. How many bedrooms do you want? Do you want a mudroom? Do you want to add a theater room? When you’re designing a home, you get to be the architect. You call the shots as to how you want your home to look. But there are considerations to make. Otherwise, you may end up paying more and ending up frustrated during an exciting time in your life. CA Green Attic & Construction outlines some important considerations below.
1. Choose the right lot. The lot you choose for your home will impact what you can do. You may also need to pay more depending on the design you’re looking at. You need to think about soil conditions that will affect the slab and footings of your new home. The grade is also important. The flatter the lot is, the more economical it will be to build on so try to avoid rocky areas and slopes.
2. Think about the open space concept. An open concept home can create privacy and acoustic issues. On the other hand, it can create a home that flows and looks more aesthetically pleasing. Try to create a balance between large open spaces for flow and intimate, cozy spaces for some privacy. You may need more walls than you thought to get that balance.
3. Living spaces should face the right way. Your main living space may be hot in the summer and cold in the winter if it faces the wrong direction. Try and have bedrooms and living areas face north to get the best of both worlds. The importance of room alignment will vary depending on where you live. You should also consider how the light will hit the rooms in your home too.
4. Design your home for your family. Think about the way your family lives as you design your home, or you may have renovations in the future that could have been avoided. If you have kids that love to spend time outside, then make sure your kitchen is positioned so that you can keep an eye on them. The placement of your laundry room is also important. Most homeowners will tell you that relatively close to bedrooms is ideal.
5. Get construction advice. The worst thing you can do is not get advice from experts. You know what you want but the experts can let you know if it’s possible and what your limitations might be. Using standard construction methods will keep costs down and the experts will let you know what you can do within your budget. They will guide you as to where you can save a few dollars and where you shouldn’t cut corners.
When you plan on remodeling your home, you must look at the home from many angles and hire the experts at CA Green Attic & Construction. We can help you redesign your current house into the home of your dreams. Give us a call today!